Guidance & pathways
Now available online 24/7, finding procedures couldn't be easier! Using your NHS OpenAthens account you can log on at: www.rmmonline.co.uk
- The National Early Warning Score (NEWS) is a common system for use across the NHS to lead progress in the assessment of and response to acute illness. It is accompanied by an e-learning tool and is due to be updated later in 2016.
- Acute care toolkit 6 : The medical patient at risk: recognition and care of the seriously ill or deteriorating medical patient contains advice and examples of effective responses to the National Early Warning Score (NEWS) trigger system, including advice on resource and staff implications
- Acute care toolkit 9 : provides an overview of sepsis, with useful definitions and stratification tools to support the management of this condition.
- Sepsis - resources for healthcare professionals
- The UK Sepsis Trust website hosts clinical toolkits covering a range of clinical settings.
- Improving outcomes for patients with sepsis: A cross-system action plan highlights key challenges and issues, and summarises the actions health and care organisations will take to address them.
- NHS Improvement - The adult patient who is deteriorating: sharing learning from literature, incident reports and root cause analysis investigations’ from the patient safety team at NHS Improvement summarises and references previous work on the topic to ensure that future work focuses on current patterns of harm and their causes. It also addresses aspects of sepsis and includes suggestions for applying the learning locally.
- The Royal College of Emergency Medicine has produced a position statement on the National Early Warning Score (NEWS) for adult patients attending emergency departments.
- Shared learning and resources to prevent deterioration in adult patients
- A safe system for recognising and responding to children at risk of deterioration
- Resources to support safer care of the deteriorating patient (adults and children)
- Recognition of the deteriorating patient - BMJ Open Quality 2015
- How to assess deteriorating patients - Nursing Standard 2015 (login with your NHS Open Athens account)
- The effectiveness of education in the recognition and management of deteriorating patients: A systematic review - Nurse Education Today 2016